Junior Scala Developer
- Gdańsk, Poland
- Contract of Employment, Contract of mandate, B2B contract
- English (B2)
Scalac is a software house that is present on the market since 2014. We are a remote-friendly company with HQ in Gdansk, and over 120 employees on board in 22 locations. Scalac is a Team! This is crucial. We love to work together. We specialize in system development based on Functional Programming Languages. We are mainly focused on Scala, but we also have Frontend, DevOps, Data, QA, and operations teams. Most of our clients are foreign (over 50% from the US) and most of our employees work as consultants.
As a Junior Scala Developer, you will at the basic level:
- Implement business logic based on the established requirements.
- Design and implement database systems.
- Design and implement web APIs.
- Write simple unit tests.
- Create technical documentation of the delivered code.
- Plan out your work by consulting with your mentor/leader/more experienced teammates.
- Use the work planning tools ( (eg. JIRA, calendar, Wiki/GDocs/Diagram)).
- Set out priorities and carry them out according to the plan, work together with your mentor/more experienced teammates
- Correctly analyze simple data and draw simple conclusions, sometimes with the support of more experienced colleagues
- Debug simple problems between two sources of code (e.g. Backend <-> Frontend)
- Collaborate with Frontend developers, testers, and project managers to integrate with other software systems.
- Refactor code when the desired form is pointed out by more experienced teammates.
- Participate in planning and work estimation.
- Cooperate with different clients
- Work with an international team and share knowledge, skills, and information with your teammates.
We expect from you the perfect mix of engagement and willingness to learn. As a junior, you will have the opportunity to have ambitious tasks and will be provided with support from our side.
Requirements and qualifications
What do we expect from you?
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented and Functional Programming at a basic level.
- Knowledge of Scala technology and the ability to prototype in Scala at a basic level.
- Knowledge of good programming practices and design patterns.
- Ability to test manual, automatic, and continuous integration at a basic level.
- Knowledge of mathematical issues, algorithms, and data structures at a basic level.
- Be able to make decisions in typical situations with help with a mentor.
- Be able to communicate your thoughts and opinions in a clear way.
- Proactive approach, the “can do” attitude to be able to suggest solutions influencing the increase of teamwork efficiency.
- Take responsibility for your assignments while keeping your team informed about your decisions.
- Growth mindset, willingness to learn, problem-solving skills, and being a real team player.
- Excellent communication skills in English so you can communicate with our clients without any trouble
Which technologies do we work with?
- Scala stack: Scala, ScalaTest, SBT, Akka HTTP, Circe, Akka Actors, Play, Cats, Akka Streams, Slick, Cats Effect, Play-JSON, Spray-JSON, Specs2, Akka Persistence, Doobie, HTTP4S, Scalaz, ZIO, Akka Clustering, Monix, Shapeless;
- RDBMS: SQL (the language), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, SQL Server;
- NoSQL: MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra;
- Messaging: Kafka, RabbitMQ;
- Architecture: Microservices, Domain-Driven Design, Event Sourcing;
- Cloud providers: AWS, GCP, Azure;
- Containerization: Docker, Docker-compose, Kubernetes;
- Distributed processing: Spark Core, Spark Streaming.
- Sport card
- Flexible working hours
- Foreign language courses
- Free coffee
- No dress code
- Start Up Atmosphere
- In-house trainings