Fin tech sector is not a typical choice for a young technical talents. When choosing between Google & Facebook on one end and Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan on the other developers often tend to steer their future towards the former. In some way they prefer sandals to suits and formal style. While we agree that it is kind of more buttoned-down world in which workers can expect more traditional office trappings Fin Tech can be a great and hugely rewarding place to be in.
How to decide which is right for you? Let us help you with that.
What we can tell for sure is that technical talents has wide variety of options to choose from both in the US (it's not simply about Silicon Valley anymore) and Europe. Make use of that and explore multiple options! Investment banks, retail banks, trading houses and hedge funds need computer science, programming and IT talent now.
What's definitely a huge advantage when working for finance tech industry is that on average you rise up in the ranks pretty fast and often get access to higher levels of project understanding relatively quickly (as compared to the situation when you're in a huge project involving hundreds of developers and see only small pieces of big picture).
There are various positions and specializations where great developers are in big shortage. That includes:
- application design and development (greenfield)
- application enhancement and re-engineering (legacy)
- enterprise integration
- technology and architecture consultancy.
There are plenty of roles you can do in FinTech starting from application design and development at the greenfield level to enterprise integration consultancy. Technologies that are often are Java and .NET. Experience is distributed system, real-time systems and cloud computing architecting is a great advantage.
If you're a mobile developer specializing in iOS or Android there might be plenty of options for you as well. Check the current openings below.
A lot of clients that we're working for sourcing for new talents are based in London or Frankfurt - both said to be European major financial hubs. But please note that especially recently a lot of software development companies from financial sector are based outside major cities ("nearshoring"). That might be an interesting option for those who are interested in financial technologies, but do not necessarily wants to move to the City.
Are you experienced in any of the following areas:
Mobile programming (iOS or Android) ?
Do you come from mathematical, computing, engineering or scientific degree backgrounds?
Do you like to solve interesting analytical problems?
Do you have clear understanding of software design and core programming concepts ?
Do you have good command of English?
Do you love Challenges?
If the answer to all of the above is YES then you’re perfectly eligible to take part in our programme and try land yourself a great job in fin tech sector.
No previous banking experience is required. However if you have experience in any of the topics below that would be additional advantage: high frequency trading algorithms, working with complex mathematical models & large data sets, distributed systems, highly parallel processing, high speed systems, machine learning
Ph.D. is often also considered a plus! (yes, we know that in traditional software engineering positions is often meaningless, still it’s slightly different world).
1. Senior C#, .NET, ASP .NET ( West Midlands, permanent position, possible remote work 30-50K GBP / year)
Company: One of the fastest growing tech company in the Midlands.
Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Permanent position / possible remote work
- home working,
- salary 30-50K GBP / year,
30 days annual leave,
performance based bonus up to 20%,
free professional development.
2. Java Server-Side Developer (Bank of America, London, permanent position)
Department: Equity Linked Technology
Job Type: Permanent position
- very competitive salary and attractive bonus system,
work in the city of London in one of the world's most recognizable financial institution,
extensive training opportunities.
experience with GIT, JIRA, Maven, and Jenkins an advantage,
agile development/testing driven practice an advantage,
good understanding of SOLID principles and refactoring software,
strong Java development skills,
you should be comfortable to work in Windows and Linux environments.
3. Senior Java Developer (Hatstand, London, contract, £500 - £550 day rate)
Department: Statistics and Analytics team
Job type: Contract
We are looking for an expert and experienced programmer with a strong track-record in equity trade analysis to take a hands-on role in our EMEA team. You will be working closely with the Trade Cost Analysis desk to implement algorithms for Equity trade analysis. In development and support the team has approximately 50 people working from our Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, New York, Singapore, Tokyo and Toronto offices and his functionally lead from New York.
- strong programmer with at least 7 years's experience,
- excellent communicator,
- extensive knowledge of database design and use on a trading floor,
- experience building multi-threaded, enterprise level software requiring high throughput,
- strong analytical and problem solving abilities,
- energetic and self-motivated,
- knowledge of capital markets, especially. equities and electronic trading,
- some knowledge of time series,
- experience of frameworks and components that helps facilitate/expedite the release of analytics components described above.
4. Mobile Developer - Android (TransferWise, London, permanent position)
Job type: Permanent position
- full Android stack: Activities, Fragments, Views, Services, Broadcast Receivers, Content Providers, SQLite etc.,
- experience of commonly used Android libraries both from Google and third parties, for, amongst other things: persistence; multi-threading; messaging; code reduction; and optimisation,
- experience of commonly used Android testing libraries for both unit testing and functional testing,
- experience with TDD and creating clean, testable code A strong understanding of REST API Design.
If you are interested in any of the positions above then:
1. Sign up to the program by tapping "Apply online" button. You will be asked to tell your preferences and upload your CV.
2. Fill in your profile.
3. Receiving invitation to the recrutiment hackathon which is the first step of evaluation process. You will receive more information before the Hackathon.