I dream of a world where every child knows their right to education and can independently chose to study without any barriers. But the education system of today is very restrictive and is not flexible or sustainable. There are a number of problems with the education system that I want to address.
1) The quality of education in most places especially schools in small town or villages is not adequate. The main reason being unavailability of teachers, supply and standard syllabus.
2)I believe that correct and quality education can help improve the quality of life for people and also reduce crime rates. The crime rates especially among children or towards children are increasing insanely.
3)Smart phone has reached so quickly to almost every village in India now, network and connectivity is increasing but not education has failed to reach even parts of the cities let alone all villages or small towns.
4)The current education system does not include simple and important things like sex education, the basic rights, hygiene of women in general (which should be known to both men and women) and regular counseling by psychiatrist or psycho-therapist at schools and colleges.
5) The schools also lack a standard education pattern curated for today's world.
I want to build a mobile app which can be used as a standard portal for providing quality education specifically aimed for primary education.The basic idea here is to develop a curated study plan with experts, interdisciplinary inputs and educationists that takes care of all the important points above and also includes regular counseling session as a part of course specifying the topics to be covered and taken up according to the standards decided especially to curb crime rates.
The app that I propose here has four sections which takes care of all the above points and provides a intuitive and simple to use UI for everyone to be able to use with graphical presentations to bridge the comprehensibility barrier in some cases. the sections are described as follows:
- Section 1 - Syllabus: This includes an extensive, standardized study plan to be set and made available on the platform providing all study materials and instructions as downloadable files for the students as well as the teachers, according to the class(standard) and mentioning required number of counseling sessions required with the topics to be covered in each session, which is part of the syllabus. The syllabus also includes information of other activities such as sports, cultural to be conducted.
- Section 2 - Teach a class: This section is for volunteers. Any volunteer can see on this section for a selected area the classes that needs teacher for the topic or counseling session. Anyone can volunteer to teach the topic for the day and take classes when they are free. This allows well read teachers, counselors and other volunteers from different places to visit small towns or villages to take special classes and topics and teach them using the standard materials. This feature is powered by the vast population of the country and making use of awareness programs to encourage youth to take part in such noble activity.
- Section 3 - Put a request: This app uses the power of tech and population in India for its good. Any school can put explicit requests for class or session requirement which can be sent as a notification to interested volunteers.
- Section 4 - Order/Supply: The remote schools can access this section to order regular stationary supply or other needs like sanitary napkins or food for schools. Shops and others who want to donate can access this section to do so according to the need. The school can also request orders with specific funds or amount that are available such that volunteers can come and deliver the things.(Supply)
- Section 5 - My school progress: Here each school can track their classes according to the syllabus for each class and can also track active request made, edit them and see past fulfilled or unfulfilled requests that were made by the school.
Each of the features in this app is aimed to help promote quality education in all schools equally to provide standard education to all. The application helps to track every step of the school's education process. The application has little requirement in terms of network and speed as most of the information stays on the app itself and other study materials are all downloadable files, hence the app can be accessed and used effectively by all remote schools as well.
I plan to take this idea forward and implement this system in and around me to start with and then run this as an independent volunteer driven campaign to promote quality education and provide education equally to every child, be it a small village or a big school in the city because the needs of the children are all same.
Ofcourse to apply this on a wider scale policies are required to be set up. This is where the science and policy interface happens and has the power to change the future of education. I feel this platform(Systers) has the power to make this reach to the correct policy makers and help me implement this and improve lives of children.