THE SPIRIT OF THE COMPETITION
Everyone has their own reason to participate in a hackathon. Some are the tireless achievers that take every opportunity they get to compete, others are there to try something new. No matter why you decided to sign up for this hackathon, there is a place for you. Be sure to do all you can to make this experience memorable! Have fun, share ideas, brainstorm, push your limits. Do it for yourself!
§1 PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS
1. These terms and conditions (hereinafter referred to as “Terms and Conditions”) specify the rules and the mode of Mercari Euro Hack 2018 (hereinafter referred to as “Contest”), organized by Mercari Inc., with an address at Roppongi Hills Mori Tower, 6-10-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-6118, Japan (hereinafter referred to as “Organizer”).
2. The Contest is conducted in the form of a code challenge (Phase I) and an onsite hackathon (Phase II) in Warsaw, Poland. Exact venue shall be announced to the shortlisted participants.
3. Participation in the Contest is only possible after agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.
§2 THE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
1. The Contest is open for natural persons, who at the time of applying to the Contest:
a) are at least 18 years of age,
b) are in full legal capacity to act on their own behalf,
c) have read the Terms and Conditions and accepted them.
Persons under 18 years of age may participate in the Contest only with their legal gaurdian's written consent.
2. Employees of the Organizer, who were directly involved in the organizing of the Contest cannot participate in the Contest. This prohibition applies to the family members of said employees as well (family members are understood to be descendants, ancestors, siblings, siblings’ spouses, spouses’ parents, persons in the collateral line to the first degree, or persons related by affinity or by adoption).
3. The participation in the Contest is free of charge and voluntary.
§3 RULES OF THE CONTEST
The Contest will be hosted on a 3rd party platform - www.mercari.challengerocket.com. Participants shall follow the outlined course of the Contest.
1. To enter the Contest, it is necessary to fill in the application form on the website www.mercari.challengerocket.com and consent to these Terms and Conditions
2. Participants shall appoint a Team Leader prior to registration, should they participate in team of up to four people. Participants registering individually shall appoint themselves as Team Leaders.
3. Each member of an applying team is treated as a Participant. If a team wins the Contest or earns a distinction / another prize, such team is entitled to only one award. A whole team is equally responsible for upholding any obligations stemming from the Terms and Conditions.
4. Each team member is obliged to fill out the application form between August 5 to October 4, 2018. During registration process the participants shall use their name as it appears in the government document (like passport),
5. Introducing changes to number of team members, personal information, or idea submission is prohibited after submitting the registration form. Should there exist an error in aforementioned information the team members are to notify the representative of the Organizer via the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
6. Only Team Leaders or individuals participating without a team shall attempt the Phase I code challenge (September 1 to October 4, 2018). Code challenge is only allowed to be attempted once.
7. Entire team will be disqualified if any participant is caught cheating in the online phase or using any copyrighted code in the final submission.
8. The Organizer reserves the right to limit the number of applications (Phase I code challenge) accepted to the Phase II onsite hackathon.
9. Participants shall be notified about eligibility to Phase II by October 8, 2018 via email.
10. If eligible, participants shall take part in Phase II - 24 hours onsite Hackathon in teams of up to 4 people, or as individuals. The Contest Phase II onsite hackathon starts on October 20, 2018 at 2pm at a venue in Warsaw, Poland (exact venue shall be announced to the shortlisted participants).
11. During the Hackathon, a Team may only work on a single Project.
12. The projects should be relevant to the Contest’s main theme – Sharing Economy.
12.1 The Contest Challenge is to create an innovative project solving a problem connected to Delivery, Security and Privacy, Fairness, or other issue related to Sharing Economy definition.
13. The Participants are to create a complete solution from the very beginning (“Project”). It is allowed to prepare a graphic design of the Project in advance. It is allowed to use open source programming libraries. If at the time of applying, a Participant already possesses a partially developed Project, they are obliged to make this fact known to the Organizer and specify how they are planning to develop the Project during the Contest. In this case, only the part of the Project created during the Contest shall be evaluated. Participants are not allowed to use any paid software/tools. Any open source tools/library should have one of these licenses: https://opensource.org/licenses.
14. During the Contest, the Organizer guarantees workplaces with access to the internet. The Participants will be provided meals and beverages.
15. With the reservation of item 14 above, the Participants are obliged to have the equipment, devices or software necessary to complete their Projects. The Participants are allowed to work in integrated development environment of choice during the onsite hackathon.
16. During the Contest, the Participants will be able to meet with Mentors – the Organizer’s content specialists, who will provide support for the Participants and answer their questions about creating their Projects.
17. Submitted Projects must be original, created entirely by the Participant or the Team participating in the Contest.
18. After finishing the project, Team Leaders shall present the Projects of their team to the Judges. The duration and from of the presentation shall be informed later.
19. Submissions and projects must be presented in English. The event will be conducted in English.
20. Winners shall be announced October 21, 2018 during the Awards Ceremony taking place on onsite Hackathon in Warsaw. The results of the Hackathon and its winners shall also be announced on ChallegeRocket.com platform on the website www.mercari.challengerocket.com, in the “Results” section, as well as via social media channels of ChallengeRocket and the Organizer, on October 21. Additionally, the Participants will be notified about the results via email.
21. Awards and prizes shall be granted to those Participants or Teams, whose Projects are evaluated the highest by the Jury.
22. Three Winning Teams shall be selected from within the projects presented during the Contest. The finalists receive cash prizes as specified in §4 item 3.
23. All works by participants eligible to the Phase II onsite Hackathon in Warsaw shall be eligible to Public Voting. Each person eligible to voting is allowed only one vote. One team shall be awarded the Public Voting award.
24. ChallengeRocket reserves the right to verify the votes in the Public Voting.
25. The Organizer covers travel and accommodation expenses of the Participants traveling from outside of Warsaw. The reimbursement is up to €400 per person if traveling from outside Poland and up to €200 for traveling within Poland. Should the costs of travel and accommodation exceed the amount of €400 or €200 (within Poland) the Participants are eligible for reimbursement are to cover the exceeding amount.
26. In case of infringement of the Terms and Conditions or the generally applicable law by any Participant or a Team, the Organizer shall retain the right to disqualify such Team.
1. The projects shall be evaluated by the judges assigned by Mercari, Inc.
2. All projects shall be evaluated according to the following criteria:
a) Innovativeness of idea,
b) Implementation of solution,
c) Practical application.
2. The Organizer provides:
2.1. Three prizes for the Finalists of the Contest:
a) 1st place: €4.000 (gross) for a Team,
b) 2nd place: €2.500 (gross) for a Team,
c) 3rd place: €1.000 (gross) for a Team,
2.2 Winners of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will receive an all expense paid Trips to Tokyo, Japan to visit the Mercari head office.
2.3 Shortlisted participants from outside of Warsaw invited to Phase II onsite hackathon will be provided with travel and hotel reimbursement up to maximum of €400 if traveling from outside Poland and maximum of €200 if traveling within Poland on presenting the receipts. If the travel and accommodation cost exceeds €400 or €200 (within Poland), the participant shall bear the excess cost by himself. The Organizer and/or ChallengeRocket platform reserves the right to arrange Participants' transportation.
3. The decision of the Judges is final and cannot be appealed against.
4. Cash prizes shall be remitted via bank transfer to Team Leaders who undertake to share it among all their Team members.
5. The announcement of the Contest winners shall take place on October 21, 2018. Winners will be notified by the Organizer via email or by the contest platform ChallengeRocket. ChallengeRocket bears payout of monetary prizes to the winners. To claim the prize, the winner must do the following within 14 days from the date of Organizer’s notification:
- confirm receipt of the notice by email (which confirmation must be sent from the same email address to which the notice was sent);
- and complete, sign and return a winner release form (as provided by the Organizer or ChallengeRocket platform along with its email notice) and such other requisite documentation (if any) listed in Organizers or ChallengeRocket email notice.
If a winner cannot be contacted or fails to claim the prize or to return the required winner documents within the specified time period, or if a winner fails to comply with any of the provisions of these Official Rules, such winner will be considered to have forfeited the prize. In such case, the prize will be awarded to the individual who submitted the next best project as previously determined by the Organizer.
6. The winners of this Contest is solely responsible for any and all applicable taxes and government charges that result from his/her receipt and/or use of the prize. Sponsor reserves the right to withhold and deduct such taxes and charges from the prize if and to the extent required by law.
§5 INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS TO THE CONTEST PROJECTS
1. The Participants hold all intellectual property rights to projects and works created during the Contest.
2. The Participants and the Teams declare that they are the sole authors of the presented Projects and that the Projects do not violate any third parties’ rights. The Participants declare that they assume complete and unhindered responsibility for any third parties’ claims against the Organizer, resulting from using the Contest Project in the Participant’s professional or business activities.
3. By participating in Mercari Euro Hack 2018, during the results announcement and award ceremony, the Participant grants permission to the Organizer to record their image on photographic and video materials, for use in promotional purposes through an indefinite period, without restrictions and without remuneration.
4. The Participant grants permission to the Organizer to use any photographs showing the Projects presented at the Contest, for internal and promotional purposes.
§6 PROCESSING THE PERSONAL DATA
1. In accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (“GDPR”), the Organizer is the Controller of personal data of Participants, with the reservation that the data Controller in respect of a Participants permission to process their data for purposes specified in item 2, letter C, is ChallengeRocket Sp. z o.o. [ltd] with its registered office in Rzeszów – the administrator of the platform www.challengerocket.com
2. Personal data of the Participants are processed for the following purposes:
a) fulfilling of the Contest aims and it’s management
b) sending marketing materials or information about future events, contests and recruitments via email or phone, by ChallengeRocket Sp. z o.o. [ltd].will be processed until the withdrawal of consent
c) sending marketing materials or information about future events, contests and recruitments via email or phone, by ChallengeRocket Sp. z o.o. [ltd].
3. The legal basis of personal data processing is the consent of the data subject (in accordance with article 6, item 1, letter a) GDPR). The consent to process data is voluntary but it is the prerequisite for taking part in the Contest, with the reservation of item 4 below. The data subject may withdraw their consent to process personal data at any time. Withdrawing the consent will result in losing rights to participate in the Contest, with the reservation of item 4 below.
4. A Participant’s consent to processing their personal data for the purposes specified in item 2, letter C is voluntary but necessary to fulfil these purposes. Refusal to give said consent will not result in losing rights to participate in the Contest.
5. Personal data of Participants may be made available to Contest Partners, providers of collateral services for the Contest and the media. Moreover, the data may be forwarded to subjects that are contracted by the Organizer or ChallengeRocket, such as event agencies. Such subjects shall process data under contract with the Organizer or ChallengeRocket, exclusively following the request of the Organizer or ChallengeRocket.
6. Personal data of the Participants may be forwarded to subjects from countries outside of the European Economic Area, i.e. Japan.
7. The data necessary to fulfil:
a) the Contest aims and its management shall be processed for a time no longer than the duration of the Contest and Awards ceremony, or until a Participant withdraws their consent unless the law obligates the Organizer to store the data or the storage of data is necessary to pursue claims;
b) sending marketing materials or information about future events, contests and recruitments via email or phone, by ChallengeRocket Sp. z o.o. [ltd]. until the withdrawal of consent.
8. Each Participant has the right to:
a) demanding access to their data and information about its processing;
b) correcting or deleting of their data, as well as restricting its processing;
c) filing opposition against data processing;
d) withdrawing the consent to process data at any time – the withdrawal, however does not affect the processing that took place precedently;
e) filing complaint to a supervisory authority for protection of personal data – in Poland it is the Director of the Department for Personal Data Protection
8. To exercise the aforementioned rights one should contact the Organizer [the Organizer’s contact data] or, if the consent was given to processing personal data for purposes stated in item 2, letter “c”, one should contact ChallengeRocket.
§7 FINAL PROVISIONS
1. The Organizer reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions, as long as it is caused by important matters beyond the control of the Organizer.
2. The Organizer shall inform the Contestants about any changes to the Terms and Conditions via electronic means and shall upload the amended Terms and Conditions on the website.
3. The Terms and Conditions shall be published on the website: www.mercari.challengerocket.com. The Organizer may also publish the Terms and Conditions on his website.